Our Heritage

A History of Integrity

“Behind every client relationship, portfolio, and business decision are more than 70 years of recognizing investment opportunities and pursuing them with integrity.”

Courts Brothers

Two men with a vision — and two generations after them. From Courts & Co., an investment banking firm established in 1925, to today’s Atlantic Investment Company, the Courts family has provided vision and leadership to identifying and capitalizing on investment opportunities. Brothers Dick Courts, Jr. and Malon Courts built Courts & Co. into a regional investment banking firm that managed corporate financings for some of the most well-known businesses in the Southeast. Richard Courts, II, son and nephew of the co-founders, joined the firm in 1959. Following the Courts & Co. sale in 1969, Atlantic Investment Company began acquiring strategic Atlanta real estate, eventually including assemblages in two of Atlanta’s then most promising commercial areas — Midtown and Buckhead. The company concentrated on creating value for shareholders through a diversified portfolio of investments and conservative fiscal management.

Today, a third Courts generation continues the family of companies’ commitment to pursuing opportunity with integrity. The focus is on investing in private and public equities and real estate and, through Colony Capital, offering an investment platform for individuals, families, and foundations. The other affiliated companies of Atlantic Investment Company are Pointer Capital, Atlantic Realty Company, and Five Stand Capital.

Learn more about the history of Atlantic Investment Company.

Courts Family

Two generations of the Courts family (l-r): Richard Courts, II, Clay Courts, Brad Courts,
Richard Courts, IV, Malon Courts

Symbol Of Vision
Equitalbe Building, Atlanta, 1892

The Hurt Building, a downtown Atlanta landmark built between 1913 and 1926, was a core asset of Atlantic Investment Company for 70 years. It reflects the ideas and concepts of Joel Hurt (1850-1926), a local engineer and builder who was a motivating force in many developments in Atlanta. Recognizing its value during the Great Depression, Dick Courts, Jr. purchased the Hurt Building at a courthouse auction in 1936 and relocated the offices of Courts & Co. into the building. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1977. In the mid-1980s, Atlantic Investment Company gave the Hurt Building a major, award-winning renovation, restoring it to its original elegance. Atlantic Investment Company sold the Hurt Building in 2006.